QG Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

01:01 Return from the Grave

Go down

01:01 Return from the Grave Empty 01:01 Return from the Grave

Post by QG Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 pm

*On a cliff, a woman can be seen looking out at a city. “This use to be my home...years ago. I grew up here, my family live here, my friends live here, but that all changed after that job...the job that changed my life forever. When I was old enough, I joined the training academy for the WPA, AKA, the World Protective Agency. I wanted to make a difference, but most importantly, I wanted to put fear into the hearts of criminals. I completed the courses at the academy with ease, and it didn’t take long for me to become one of the best agents that the WPA had. Mission after mission, I always outperformed the other operatives. But, one mission...something...something went wrong. I’m still not quite sure what happened, but whatever it was, it nearly cost me my life. I was shot and terribly wounded, and then kidnapped by the enemy. The WPA was able to rescue me, fortunately, but after that, I became a new person...literally. The WPA had already announced to the public that I was dead, despite knowing otherwise. I was furious when they told me, and even more furious when they told me what I had to do next. The WPA fired me because of that stupid mission blowing up in their faces, and because of the fact that they told everyone I was dead, they told me that I needed a new identity. I hated the idea, because I knew it meant I might never see the people I care about again, but they didn’t care. They just didn’t want the details of the mission getting out. That is why the supplied me with both a new name and a new face, as well as enough money for me to live off of well into my golden years. Right after the facial reconstruction surgery was done, they shipped me off to Paris to live out the rest of my life...my new life, as Lauren Bates. Lauren Bates was a complete stranger to me at first, but I eventually slipped into her skin, and I managed to build a somewhat decent life for myself. Despite this, I missed my loved ones from home, and I considered going back so many times, but I knew it was best to stay away. But we don’t always do what’s best. Some might call my latest choice impulsive, and I happen to call those people idiots. I thought I could stay away, but I was wrong. I had to come back to help save my city, besides, how will anyone know its me? I have a new face, and in the eyes of the law and the public...I’m legally deceased.”

01:01 Return from the Grave Legally_deceased_title_card_by_qg2004-dbvj32m

2 Years Earlier

*In a huge living room, an older woman known as Queen Goo is sitting on the couch, watching television. Queen Goo takes a sip of tea. “That recipe sounds PERFECT for this coming Christmas.” Queen Goo notes, observing the program she is watching. All of a sudden, news comes in on the TV. “Uh oh, this can’t be good.” Queen Goo says. “We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to share some tragic news with you. We have just learned that Fantastic City local Maxine Smarts, an agent for the World Protective Agency, has been shot and killed in the field.” The reporter confirms. Queen Goo drops her cup of tea, which shatters upon hitting the floor. “Oh my god!” Queen Goo gasps. Andy Goo, Queen Goo’s son, rushes in upon hearing the smash. “Mom! Are you alright? I heard a crash!” A worried Andy says. Andy notices the shattered tea cup on the floor. “What happened? You didn’t burn yourself, did you?” Andy asks. Queen Goo stands up. “No, no, don’t worry about me! Physically, I’m fine.” Queen Goo says. “What’s going on? Mom, you are REALLY shaken up.” Andy notes. “I...I just saw on the news...apparently, Maxine was shot and killed during a mission.” Queen Goo reveals. “What? No...no, that cant be true. Maxine was...she was too good of an agent to get killed.” Andy says. “That’s exactly what my reaction was! Please Andy, you need to find out if this report is true. You are a police officer, don’t you have some contacts you can call?” Queen Goo asks. “Yeah, I’ll make a few calls. Stay here, I’m just gonna step out into the foyer for a minute.” Andy says, before exiting the room. Once Andy is out of the room, Queen Goo flashes back to some moments she has had with Maxine.

Maxine is facing Queen Goo in the Goo Living Room, wearing her cap and gown. “You have no idea how proud I am of you today, dear. There were so many people claiming you wouldn’t get this far, so many people that didn’t believe in you.” Queen Goo says. Maxine smiles. “I’m glad I got the chance to prove those losers wrong.” Maxine says. Queen Goo laughs. “So am I. You know, you’ve come a long way since we first met.” Queen Goo notes. “Thanks to you. If you didn’t give me the guidance I needed, god only knows where I would be right now. Probably not about to walk up on stage and get my diploma handed to me.” Maxine says. “I don’t know where you would be, and I don’t care to speculate. What I care about is that you are actually here, and that makes me so proud. Listen, I don’t want to come off too strong, but...I just want you to know how much you mean to me. We might have only known each other for a few years, but to me, you are like a daughter. I love you just as much as I love my biological child, and I want you to know that no matter what, that will never change. You are my daughter in every way that counts. And please, don’t take that as me wanting to replace your real mother, because that isn’t what I am trying to do.” Queen Goo says. “I know. And just so you know, as far as I am concerned, I have two mothers, one of them being you.” Maxine says. Queen Goo smiles. “Come here.” Queen Goo says. Queen Goo pulls Maxine into a warm embrace.

*Queen Goo snaps back to reality when Andy comes into the room. “I just got off the phone with my contact...” Andy says. “And? It is false, right? The reporter didn’t have the whole story? Maxine is alive, right?” Queen Goo asks. Andy shakes his head. “No, she isn’t.” Andy says. “No, that cant be true! It just cant be!” Queen Goo yells. “I talked to a friend of mine at the WPA, he is a reputable guy, and he says that to his knowledge, Maxine is dead, and she was killed in the middle of a mission, just like the news said. I’m sorry, Mom, Maxine is gone.” Andy reveals. Queen Goo stares at Andy in disbelief for a moment. “No...no...” Queen Goo repeats. Queen Goo then falls onto the couch, and begins to sob. Andy sits next to her, and wraps his arms around her.

*The sun shines down on the cemetery, as family and friends gather for Maxine’s funeral. Eugene Ringleburg, Maxine’s close childhood friend, is standing up by Maxine’s empty coffin. “I never thought I would see this day, certainly not so soon in my best friend’s life, and I certainly never expected that when she did die, we wouldn’t even be able to provide her with a proper burial because her body couldn’t be retrieved. It...it pains me to know that my only friend in the entire world is now gone. Ever since I was but a small child, people have looked at me as if I was different from the rest, but in a bad way. I suppose you can say that I was different. I’ve always been fascinated by computers and science, which is why the other children never quite cared much for me. They viewed me as a nerd, a geek, and I use those two specific terms because those are terms actually used to describe me by my peers. They could never be bothered to treat me like a human being, all because I was different from the rest. Maxine wasn’t like that. She and I met in the second grade, and do you know why we became friends? Because she was the only human being that didn’t give me that stare, the stare of disdain and annoyance. She treated me as a human being rather than someone who’s sole purpose was to be laughed at. She appreciated that I was intelligent, and she didn’t vilify me for it, like the rest of the children did. That, as well as her charming and outgoing personality is what set her apart from the rest. I never had a friend like her before, and, I...I never will again.” Eugene says. Eugene hurries back to his seat, as he begins to choke up over Maxine. Once Eugene is back in his seat, Andy looks at Queen Goo, and nods. Queen Goo smiles, before standing up, and walking up to Maxine’s coffin. “I...I probably haven’t known Maxine Smarts for nearly as long as most of you have. I met her when she was fifteen years old. For those of you who don’t know, her parents suffered an unimaginable death when she was merely fourteen, and she was forced into the foster care system. After the death of her parents, she became rebellious, and she began to go down a very destructive path. I know all of this because I regularly visited the foster home to see the children, and right away, I knew that Maxine was special, and hearing every mistake she had made since entering foster care, I knew that she was wasting her potential to be something great. So, I took it upon myself to adopt her, hoping that I might be able to help her change course, and although I’m not quite sure if anything I said or did helped her, she was able to turn her life around and tap into that previously mentioned potential. She even joined the WPA because she wanted to help people! That’s right, she chose an occupation where her life was in constant danger all because she wanted to help protect people from the bad guys. For all of her faults, Maxine Smarts was a good woman, and there will NEVER be another like her...never.” Queen Goo says. Queen Goo starts to cry. Andy quickly rushes to her side, and guides her back to her seat. “Its alright, Mom.” Andy consoles her. Once Queen Goo has returned to her seat, sad music begins to play, and Maxine’s coffin is loaded into the ground…

Two Years Later

*In the present, it is pitch black out, and pouring rain is drowning the city. Eugene is walking down a street. Eugene reaches a part of the road that is closed off. “Of course. Not only am I stuck walking in a hurricane because my car needs repairs, but the road I take to return to my humble abode is closed. I suppose I’ll just have to cut through the back alley.” Eugene says. Eugene backtracks a bit, and then cuts through a dark alley. As he is walking through, he hears footsteps behind him. He turns, and finds a man pointing a gun at him! “Don’t run, don’t scream. If you do, I’m gonna shoot ya.” The guy says. “What-what do you want from me?” Eugene asks. “I want tonight’s football game score.” The guy sarcastically says. “I’m afraid I don’t watch sports. You’ll have to ask someone else.” Eugene says. “Are you an idiot? I was bein SARCASTIC. What do you think I want? Pull out your wallet, and toss it over here! Do it nice and slow, though. I don’t want you pullin any funny business, understood?” The guy asks. “Of course, I-I wouldn’t dream of betraying your trust!” Eugene says. Eugene reaches into his pocket, and scrambles to pull out his wallet. “What’s takin so long? Hurry up, I’ve gotta go meet with my dealer!” The guy says. “I apologize, but-but my wallet is refusing to come out of my pocket. Has that ever happened to you? You reach into your pocket to pull out an item of interest, only to discover it to be more difficult to pull out than originally anticipated?” Eugene asks. “MOVE IT!” The guy yells. Eugene pulls out his wallet, and tosses it at the guy’s feet. “There, now please, sir, spare me!” Eugene begs. The guy picks up Eugene’s wallet, and puts it in his pocket. “Thanks pal. I owe you.” The guy says, as he aims his gun towards Eugene’s head. “Wait, what are you doing? I thought you intended on letting me go if I gave you my wallet?” Eugene asks. “I never said nothing about letting you go, pal. Turn around.” The guy orders. “You want me to turn around?” Eugene asks. “That’s right.” The guy says. “Why? So you don’t have to look at the sheer horror in my eyes as you murder me in cold blood? Are you hoping to spare yourself some remorse? Perhaps your only reason for wanting to kill me is so that I will be unable to identify you, but little do you realize that by murdering an unarmed civilian, you are only making matters worse for yourself.” Eugene says. “STOP SHRINKING ME, I SAID TURN AROUND!” The guy yells. A terrified Eugene accepts his fate, and slowly turns around. Eugene closes his eyes in fear after turning around, knowing what is about to happen next. As he does, a gunshot rings out. Immediately after hearing the gunshot, Eugene turns around, and sees the guy dead on the ground! Eugene looks up, and sees the woman from the first scene holding a gun. The woman begins to approach a terrified Eugene. “Are-are you here to kill me, as well? I won’t identify you! I swear! Besides, you haven’t done anything wrong! You-you shot an armed criminal, no law enforcement agency would-would ever prosecute you for that! Please...just please, don’t kill me!” Eugene begs. The woman instead kneels down at the body of the guy, and reaches into his pocket. She pulls out Eugene’s wallet, and stands up. “I believe this is yours.” Lauren says, as she hands Eugene’s wallet back to him. Eugene hesitantly takes the wallet from her. “Who...who are you?” Eugene asks. “Lauren Bates.” Lauren introduces herself. Eugene stares at Lauren for a short period of time, one which feels like a long period of time to Lauren. “What are you looking at?” Lauren asks. “I apologize for staring, it is just that...there is something very familiar about you. I think what I recognize most are your voice and your eyes. Have we met somewhere before?” Eugene asks. “I don’t think so. I would remember meeting someone with a distinct face such as yours.” Lauren notes. “No, I don’t believe that for one moment. I am quite certain that you and I are previously acquainted.” Eugene says. “How can you be sure?” Lauren asks. “As I already stated, both your voice and your eyes are overwhelmingly familiar. I also happen to be a very observant person, and not to be rude, but, I feel that you aren’t being entirely forthcoming with me, Miss Bates.” Eugene admits. Lauren rolls her eyes. “I didn’t want to have to do this...alright, I wanted to, but I just didn’t think it would be a good idea to do it. Lets talk somewhere private, and I’ll tell you everything.” Lauren says. “How do I know that you are capable of being trustworthy?” Eugene asks. “You are the one who is convinced that we know each other from a past life. Do you want the truth or not?” Lauren asks. “Yes, of course I want the truth. Isn’t that what we all desire?” Eugene asks. “Follow me.” Lauren tells him, before walking off. Eugene cautiously follows after her.

*”Lauren leads Eugene into an abandoned mineshaft. “This is my womancave, make yourself comfy.” Lauren says. “Why are you hiding out in the interior of an abandoned mineshaft? Are you a fugitive?” Eugene asks. “In some countries, just not this one.” Lauren says. “Just tell me who you are so that I may be on my way.” Eugene says. Lauren nods, and walks over to her desk. She pulls open a drawer, and reaches into it. She pulls out a picture, and flashes it to Eugene. The picture is of Eugene’s dead friend, Maxine Smarts! “She and I could pass as sisters.” Lauren notes. “No, that is impossible! Maxine has been dead for well over two years! She was cruelly murdered on some sort of assignment for the World Protective Agency.” Eugene notes. “Don’t believe everything you hear, Gene. The death was just a ruse because the assignment was a failure, the WPA thought that it would better suit them if I was dead than alive, so they leaked to the press that Maxine Smarts was dead, and to cement that, they gave me a new face and name so that no one would recognize me. They no longer wanted to have any ties with me, so once they gave me my pretty new face and my kick butt new name, they paid me off and sent me to live in Paris.” Lauren reveals. “I don’t believe you.” Eugene says. “You said it yourself that you recognized my voice and my eyes.” Lauren notes. “Plenty of people have similarities to one another, Miss Bates. I happen to believe that you are an imposter.” Eugene says. “An imposter who saved your life earlier.” Lauren says. “That entire incident could have been staged so that you would have the opportunity to infiltrate my life, as well as the lives of other people the beautiful Maxine was close to!” Eugene says. “Thanks for the compliment, Gene.” Lauren says. “I wasn’t talking about you! Who do you answer to, hm?” Eugene asks. “No one. I already told you the WPA cut ties with me, since then, I’ve been doing my own thing and dancing to my own music. It is so liberating to not have to take orders from some higher up who thinks they know better than you do.” Lauren notes. “I see you are still sticking with your very farfetch’d story.” Eugene says. “It is pretty farfetch’d, but it isn’t a story. I can prove it to you.” Lauren says. “Please do.” Eugene tells her. “You and I met when we were in the second grade. I remember that it was at lunch, and you were sitting all alone. I smiled at you, and you waved at me, so I decided to come and sit with you, and the rest was history.” Lauren says. “So you know one measly little detail of how Maxine and I met, and you believe that absolves you of any suspicion?” Eugene asks. “No one else would know that story, Gene, and I highly doubt that the government had spies watching us when we were in elementary school.” Lauren notes. “So you are admitting that the government is involved in all of this somehow!” Eugene says. “The WPA is a government agency, and they are the ones who gave me a new face and a new name, so yeah, I’d say they are pretty involved.” Lauren says. “Give me one more memory, one more that only Maxine and myself would know.” Eugene tells her. “Okay, lets see...oh, I know. The night my parents were killed, you were the first person to come and check up on me. You did your best to try and cheer me up, by telling me this really cheesy and annoying jokes. I still appreciated them, though, because I appreciated you and your friendship...I still do.” Lauren says. “Perhaps this is some sort of government experiment. Maybe, they somehow downloaded Maxine’s memories, and gave them to you after her death!” Eugene says. “Oh for god’s sake, Gene, if you are THAT skeptical, run a DNA test!” Lauren says. “A DNA test wouldn’t suffice, all of Maxine’s relatives are deceased.” Eugene notes. “Gee, thanks for reminding me. Okay, you want the truth? Look into my eyes. Go ahead, do it. Just look straight into them, and that will tell you all you need to know about who I am.” Lauren says. Eugene walks over to Lauren, and looks straight into her eyes. “See anything?” Lauren asks. “It...it really is you, isn’t it?” Eugene asks. “Yeah, its really me. Come here.” Lauren says, as she opens her arms. Eugene rushes into her arms. “Oh my goodness, it is so good to see you again! Even-even though you look quite different than the last time I saw you.” Eugene says. “Okay, that’s enough.” Lauren says, as she pulls away from the hug. “You never were one for emotional embraces. I-I don’t entirely understand. How is this even possible?” Eugene asks. “My death wasn’t all it appeared to be.” Lauren notes. “But, the WPA confirmed your death.” Eugene says. “People lie and make stuff up all the time. My death just happened to be the WPA’s lie of that day.” Lauren says. “Why exactly did you return? The WPA had given you not just a new identity, but a new face as well. Clearly, they didn’t want you to return.” Eugene notes. “To be honest with you, Gene, I was never supposed to come back. But, after hearing about what this city has become since I left to join the agency all those years ago, I didn’t feel like I really had a choice.” Lauren says. “Ah, you must be referring to the rapidly increasing crime rate.” Eugene deduces. “Do you have any insight?” Lauren asks. “First, let me start by saying that it isn’t the fault of incompetence by the local authorities, they are doing everything right. The problem is that the criminals in this city seem to not only be growing smarter, but also acquiring better equipment to carry out their malicious intentions.” Eugene says. And while the bigger criminals in this city are wreaking havoc, the smaller criminals are starting to do so as well. It is a terrible situation, to be sure.” Eugene notes. Lauren smirks. “Sounds to me like this city could use some divine intervention.” Lauren says. “No, absolutely not! I refuse to allow yourself to intervene, Maxine! This situation is FAR too dangerous for you to involve yourself!” Eugene objects. “Gene, I was killed during a black ops operation. After cheating death like that, I think I can pretty much handle anything these losers toss at me. Anyway, now that we’ve agreed that I am involving myself...” Lauren says. “We have?” Eugene asks. “We have. Now that we’ve agreed that I’m involving myself, maybe you can help me out. What is the main source of crime around the city? You work at the police station, so you must have a pretty good idea.” Lauren notes. “It is my understanding that drug trafficking is a growing problem.” Eugene says. “On what level?” Lauren asks. “They aren’t teenagers selling weed on street corners, I’m afraid. These are much more dangerous individuals selling much more dangerous products, which they seem to be importing from other countries.” Eugene reveals. “Do you know anything about the head of the drug ring?” Lauren asks. “There is a rumor going around about someone named ‘The Master’. According to what I’ve heard, he seems to be the head of this drug trade. Unfortunately, it would appear that no one really knows who The Master is.” Eugene says. “That’s about to change.” Lauren says!

Next Day

*At The Coffee Bean, Queen Goo meets with local businessman Cesar Burnham. The two sit down. “Thank you for meeting with me, Mr Burnham.” Queen Goo says. “Please, after all these years of you and I working together, I think you have earned the privilege of referring to me by my first name.” Cesar says. “Oh, sorry.” Queen Goo apologizes. “No need to apologize for being formal. Anyway, I am glad that you called this meeting. With the charity event drawing near, I thought it was time for you and I to iron out some last minute specifics.” Cesar says. Queen Goo, clearly distant, is gazing out the window. “Are you feeling alright, Molly? You seem a tad distant.” Cesar notes. “Oh, I’m so sorry.” Queen Goo says. “Its quite alright, but I really must ask what is bothering you. You are visibly upset, is everything alright?” Cesar asks. “Well...you probably don’t know this, but today is the two anniversary of my daughter’s death. So, it has been a pretty rough day. No matter how much time passes...my heart still aches on this day. Even two years later, none of this feels real. I miss Maxine dearly.” Queen Goo confides. “I understand, and I hope you take comfort in knowing that Maxine would be proud of everything you are doing, I am willing to wager that she is probably looking down on you right now and smiling.” Cesar says. “Thank you for the kind words. You are such a good name, Cesar.” Queen Goo says. “Being in the presence of royalty appears to bring out the best in me.” Cesar tells her. Queen Goo smiles.

*Out in the hallway of his apartment, Eugene comes off of the elevator, and pulls out his keys when he reaches his door. He drops his keys onto the floor, forcing him to bend down to pick them back up. “Happens every time I go to unlock this pesky door. This set of keys is the bane of my existence.” Eugene notes. Eugene turns the key, and is finally able to unlock his door. “Ah ha! My good relationship with locks, even the most troubled ones, strikes again!” Eugene says, as he opens the door. Eugene walks in, and jumps when he sees Lauren standing in the corner of his living room. “Hey Gene, I’m glad you finally decided to show up. By the way, you are out of potato chips, and for future reference, get salt and vinegar next time.” Lauren says. “How on earth did you get in here?” Eugene asks. “I picked the lock.” Lauren admits. “That’s illegal!” Eugene notes. “I know. Moving onto other topics, did you do what I asked you to do?” Lauren asks. “I did, despite how ethically wrong it was.” Eugene says. “The end justifies the means. What did you find out?” Lauren asks. “Well, just as you asked, I hacked into known drug dealer Donald Hart’s phone, and although I wasn’t able to find any info on Donald’s boss, there was a quite peculiar text from an unknown number, mentioning a shipment coming into the harbor at midnight. It didn’t say of what variety the shipment would be, just that there would be one. I imagine that this information probably isn’t much use to you, however.” Eugene says. “Actually, that is exactly what I was looking for. Is Donald going to be there?” Lauren asks. “I would imagine so. He is, after all, one of The Master’s star employees.” Eugene says. Lauren smiles. “I plan on keeping Donald company.” Lauren admits. “What are you planning?” Eugene asks. “I’m gonna be there when that shipment comes in, and I plan on having a blast.” Lauren says, before going to exit through the window. “Uh, you do realize that I have a door for you to exit through, yes? Considering you picked the lock, I would hope you would already know that.” Eugene says. “Sorry, I’m just so use to using windows as an exit. I’ll see you around.” Lauren says, before exiting through the window. Eugene walks over to the window, and looks out it, only to find Lauren has vanished.

*At night, Donald the drug dealer is standing at the edge of the harbor with two armed henchmen. “The shipment should be here, soon, prepare to unload. The boss wants the substances at the warehouse ASAP.” Donald tells them. Nearby, Lauren can be seen watching them from behind a crate. A ship horn can be heard sounding in the distance. “That must be it.” Donald says. They look into the fog, and can see the headlights of the boat. Nearby, Lauren unzips a bag, and pulls out a rocket launcher! As the boat gets close enough, Lauren announces “Time to make some fireworks.” Lauren aims the rocket launcher, and fires in the direction of the boat! All of a sudden, the boat explodes into a large ball of fire, destroying the contents inside! “What happened?!” A shocked Donald asks. Before Donald and his men can really react to what just happened, two gunshots can be heard, and both of Donald’s men drop to the ground. Donald turns around, and goes to grab his gun. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Lauren warns, as she aims her gun at him. “Who are you?!” Donald asks. “That depends. I can either be the girl who spares you or the girl who kills you.” Lauren tells him. “What do you want?” Donald asks. “I want the name of your boss.” Lauren reveals. “I cant give you that info.” Donald says. Lauren lowers her gun, and shoots Donald right below the knee! Donald screams out in pain, as he drops to the ground. “Each time you give me the wrong answer to my question, I’m just gonna aim a little bit higher. Again, who do you work for?” Lauren asks. “I swear I don’t know! I’ve only ever heard the boss’s voice, I’ve never seen his face!” Donald confesses. “You are one of The Master’s top employees. If you’ve never met the guy, how do the two of you communicate?” Lauren asks. “We talk over the phone, sometimes we do business through a messenger. But, here’s the deal, I don’t think the messenger even knows who the guy is. This situation...its a mess, man. This guy has all kinds of people on his payroll, and I’m pretty sure ain’t none of them have ever met the dude.” Donald says. “Take out your phone.” Lauren orders. Donald complies, and pulls out his phone. “Is that for strictly business?” Lauren asks. “Yeah. I have another phone that I use to talk to family and friends. Sometimes though, the guys I work with are idiots and text me through that phone, too, like today!” Donald says. “That other phone is the one that received the text message of the shipment coming in...toss it over to me.” Lauren demands. Donald tosses his phone over to Lauren, and she catches it. Lauren puts the phone in her pocket, and turns to walk away. As she is walking away, Donald reaches for his weapon. Before he can pull it out, Lauren turns around and shoots him right between the eyes! “Shooting someone in the back? I never did like drug dealers much.” Lauren says, before walking away, whistling while doing so.

Next Day

*At the Fantastic Police Station, Eugene walks into the squad room, and finds Lauren waiting for him! “You are seven minutes and forty three seconds early, Eugene.” Lauren notes. A nervous Eugene grabs Lauren by the arm, and pulls her into the interrogation room. “What are you doing here?” A frantic Eugene asks. “Relax, pal.” Lauren tells him. Lauren pulls out an ID with her picture on it, and the name Alissa Valentini. “My name is Alissa Valentini, and I’m a lawyer seeking your expertise.” Lauren says. “Did you actually tell people that story?” Eugene asks. “Course not. The story is only for people who start to ask questions.” Lauren says. “Believe it or not, I am rather happy to be speaking to you. It has come to my attention that a 911 call came in last night.” Eugene says. “Yeah, I hear those calls happen a lot.” Lauren says. “Apparently, several dead bodies were found by the waterfront.” Eugene says. “You’ve got me. I’m the one who made the 911 call.” Lauren confesses. “Why?” Eugene asks. “Because, parents bring their kids down to that harbor all the time to look at the boats. I wouldn’t want them to find a couple of dead bodies, so I thought it would be best to have that cleared up before the morning.” Lauren says. “Did you kill them?” Eugene asks. “They were all armed. One of them was even gonna take a shot at me.” Lauren tells him. “What about the boat that exploded? Are you the responsible party for that as well?” Eugene asks. “That ship was filled with narcotics, so I took care of it with a rocket launcher.” Lauren confesses. “A ROCKET LAUNCHER?! Where on earth did you get a rocket launcher?” A shocked Eugene asks. “I still have a few souvenirs from my time with the WPA. Okay...maybe more than a few.” Lauren admits. “I-I cant believe how much you have changed over the years!” Eugene notes. “Joining a government spy agency can do that to a person.” Lauren says. Lauren pulls out Donald’s phone, and hands it to Eugene. “Can you do me a favor? Download all of the content on this phone, and look over it.” Lauren tells him. “Did you steal this from the deceased?” Eugene asks. “Since I am a lawyer, I know that it is my right to not answer any questions without my attorney present. What I will tell you is that the phone you hacked into yesterday isn’t the only phone Donald Hart had. Call me when you’re done.” Lauren tells him, before leaving her number on the interrogation room table, and exiting the room.

*Lauren is walking down a sidewalk, when she glances across the street, and notices Queen Goo looking into a store window, analyzing a dress on display. Lauren then flashes back to a moment from her past.

“Why do you want to help me when all of my life, all I’ve ever done is screw up?” Maxine asks. “No one is beyond help or redemption, dear, and I believe that with the right motivation, you could go on to do some great and amazing things.” Queen Goo tells her.

*Lauren snaps back to reality, and contemplates approaching Queen Goo, and potentially blowing her cover. Lauren begins to walk towards the crosswalk, when her phone starts to ring. She sighs, and then answers the phone. “Yeah?” Lauren answers. “Maxine, tis I, your fellow hacker friend.” Eugene says. “What did you find out, Gene?” Lauren asks. “A boat load of information, actually. It is probably better that we go over this in person, rather than over the phone. Do you have time to meet with me?” Eugene asks. “Where?” Lauren asks. “My apartment. I trust that you recall how to get here from your previous visit.” Eugene notes. Lauren smiles. “I’ll be there in twenty.” Lauren tells him.

*In the squad room at the police station, Commissioner John Flynn walks over to Andy, who is hard at work. “Detective Goo.” Flynn says. “Commissioner, what can I do for you?” Andy asks. “I’m hoping you can give me an update on the incident at the harbor last night. Any new info?” Flynn asks. “A bit. I decided to check security cameras in the surrounding area, and they were all deactivated.” Andy reveals. “All of them?” Flynn asks. “Just the ones that might be able to help us identify the perp.” Andy says. “From what I’ve been told, the victims were all suspected drug dealers working for the mob, which leaves me with two guesses. The killer was either part of a rival mob faction, or they were a vigilante. Either way, I want to find out who this person is.” Flynn says. “Don’t worry, Commissioner. I’ll do everything I can to find this person, and bring them to justice.” Andy assures him. Flynn nods. “I hope so. Keep me updated.” Flynn tells Andy, before walking out of the room.

*At Eugene’s apartment, Eugene is sitting on the sofa, when he hears the lock turning. A moment later, Lauren lets herself in. “Haven’t you ever heard of the concept of knocking?” Eugene asks. “We’ve been friends since second grade, Gene, I didn’t think I needed to knock. Anyway, what did you find out?” Lauren asks. “As I told you over the phone, a lot. I downloaded a list of drug dealers that worked directly under Donald.” Eugene reveals. “Okay, that’s great, but if Donald was right and none of these dealers know who is calling the shots, that list isn’t gonna help.” Lauren notes. “That’s not all I found. This particular piece of information is what I found to be the most interesting. Apparently, the drug cartel has been using charities as a way to sell their product to high profile people.” Eugene reveals. “How are they doing that?” Lauren asks. “Simple. They use a private catering team at these events, and the caterers are the ones selling the drugs to the party attendees in a way that has remained under the radar thus far.” Eugene says. “Do you have the names of the charities that they are using?” Lauren asks. “I do, and I am currently looking at each of them under a magnifying glass to see if there is a consistent connection between all of them. In the meantime, it has come to my attention that one of the charities used to distribute these narcotics is holding an event tomorrow night.” Eugene says. “Sounds like that is the best chance we’ve got to stop the boss.” Lauren notes. “What do you mean?” Eugene asks. “Because of what happened last night, Mr Big is probably getting PRETTY nervous, which means he’ll want to be at the charity event himself to make sure nothing goes wrong, if he didn’t already plan on attending anyway. After all, what does he got to lose? No one knows who he is.” Lauren says. “What do you intend to do?” Eugene asks. “I’m going undercover, Gene, and hopefully by the time of that party, we’ll know who is calling the shots over at that operation. But either way, this drug operation ends tomorrow.” Lauren announces.

To Be Continued...

QG
Admin

https://qg-network.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum