QG Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strings Attached: Chapter 1

Go down

Strings Attached: Chapter 1 Empty Strings Attached: Chapter 1

Post by QG Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Late at night, Andy Goo is standing on top of a mountain, overlooking the skyscrapers and lights of Fantastic City. Deep in thought, he notes “The city looks so peaceful from here. You would never know that it is riddled with crime, violence, and absolute chaos. Dylan has been protecting Fantastic City for five years, I’ve been helping protect it for three, and Claire has been here for two. During that time frame, we each thought we had gone up against the most vile and reprehensible criminals that have ever breathed this planet’s air. However, no one is quite as deranged as “him”, the opponent we just faced. Someone who makes The Master look like an angelic pillar of society...someone who nearly brought about the end of Fantastic City…”

One Week Prior…

Dylan, Andy, and Claire drag a handcuffed Wishbone into the police station, and Detective Mariah Barnes rolls her eyes when she sees him. “Him AGAIN?!” She quips. “Surprise. We caught him trying to steal an old Egyptian relic that’s only on display in the Fantastic City museum this weekend.” Dylan says. Mariah makes eye contact with Wishbone. “Did you really think you were gonna pull that one off?” Mariah asks. “Of course he did, he’s an idiot.” Claire says. Mariah turns towards an officer. “Go ahead and book this clown. I can’t even look at his dumb ass. Unbelievable.” Mariah complains. Wishbone glares at Dylan, Claire, and Andy. “This ain’t over, I gonna be back, and when I do come back, you all in big trouble.” Wishbone warns. “I’m quaking.” Claire sarcastically says. Wishbone is dragged out by a cop. “Just to make sure, you three have the evidence we need to convict him, right?” Mariah asks. “Its all in the museum surveillance footage. Besides, Wishbone is still wanted by the police from when he escaped Baronville Prison.” Andy recalls. “I know, just being thorough.” Mariah says. “We know. Thanks for always doing a good job.” Dylan says. “Wishbone is gonna have to take a backseat for now, I have another crime I want your opinions on. Come on, follow me.” Mariah urges, motioning her hand. Dylan, Claire, and Andy follow Mariah into the interrogation room, and she slaps four folders on to the table. “Those belong to suspects who were arrested for a bank robbery.” Mariah reveals. Dylan opens the files, and looks over them. “These are all cops. They were all implicated in this robbery?” Dylan questions. “Not only were they all caught on surveillance, but they confessed too.” Mariah divulges. “If they were caught on surveillance, that means they must not have been wearing masks. That’s odd, considering their career. If they’re caught and incarcerated, they stand to lose more than anyone.” Andy notes. “I agree. These guys know how easy it is to get caught, they would’ve been wearing masks, which is why something isn’t adding up.” Mariah says. “Were they acting unusual at all? Did they say anything strange?” Dylan questions. Mariah chuckles. “Strange is one word for it. Each of them say that a voice came to them in their dreams and told them to rob that bank.” Mariah says. “I wonder if they’re having visions of unicorns and leprechauns too.” Claire sarcastically says. “A mental breakdown crossed my mind, but it seems kinda out there that all four of them snapped at once.” Mariah notes. “They could have been lying. They may appear to be good cops, but so don’t a lot of corrupt cops.” Andy notes. “Did you find the money they stole?” Claire questions. “The cops left the money in a location given to them by this mysterious voice in their dreams, but by the time we got there, the money was long gone.” Mariah says. “So where is it?” Claire wonders. “I think we’re dealing with one of two possibilities. A, the cops lied, or B, they did drop the money off for somebody else, and that somebody picked it up before we could get there.” Mariah says. “If the cops were working for someone else, its usually a mobster.” Dylan notes. “There is one mob boss we know for a fact would be having police officers working at his behest.” Andy adds. “I’m gonna go to Baronville Prison to have a talk with him.” Dylan says. “Do you really think you’re going to get anywhere with him?” Claire asks. Dylan shrugs. “Its worth a shot. Even if he isn’t behind this, since he basically runs the Fantastic City underworld, he might be able to point us towards the person really behind this.” Dylan says. “Claire, Andy, and I will do more digging while you’re gone. Good luck.” Mariah says. “Thanks, I have a feeling I’m going to need it.” Dylan responds.

In the visiting room at Baronville Prison, Dylan is seated at the table, when a shackled The Master is led in by a guard. The Master smiles, and sits across from Dylan. “Hello Dylan.” The Master greets him. “Its been a long time.” Dylan notes. “It has been. I admit, I’m a tad surprised to see you here. You know, after you had me thrown in here for trying to blow up the police station a few years ago. To be perfectly honest with you, I assumed I’d never see you again.” The Master confesses. “I never wanted to see you again.” Dylan adds. The Master scoffs. “Stop being so dramatic, it was only a police station. Besides, its not as if I was most definitely going to detonate the bomb. I was willing to diffuse it in exchange for a reasonable ransom! Besides, if it weren’t for that little incident, you never would have met your sidekick, Andy I believe his name is.” The Master says. “I didn’t come to talk about the past.” Dylan says. “Then why did you come? I imagine this isn’t a social call.” The Master says. Dylan pulls out the four folders, and slides them across the table. Dylan opens the folder, and reveals the mugshots of the four cops arrested. “Do you recognize anyone here?” Dylan questions. “I believe I remember their faces, from when I was languishing in lock up at the Fantastic P.D, prior to being transferred here.” The Master recalls. “Is that the only way you know them?” Dylan asks. “Is there any other way I should know them?” The Master wonders. “Those four cops were arrested for robbing a bank.” Dylan reveals. “Corruption in the Fantastic Police Department? Color me shocked.” The Master sarcastically remarks. “The working theory is that they might’ve been working for someone else.” Dylan adds. “Hence the reason behind your visit. I’m not sure if you have noticed, but I’m not in much of a position to be orchestrating heists.” The Master points out. “These bars don’t seem to be stopping you from running your drug ring. I know you’re still getting shipments, and I know your goons are still putting those drugs in the hands of innocent people, including children.” Dylan notes. “I don’t suppose you have evidence to back up your accusations, hm?” The Master asks. “We both know you’re too clever to leave a trail, even inside a maximum security prison. But enough about the drugs, back to the robbery. Did you arrange it?” Dylan questions. “I had nothing to do with that robbery.” The Master claims. “You are serving a life sentence, you don’t need to lie.” Dylan points out. “I’m not lying! I truly had nothing to do with this robbery. What makes you so sure these officers weren’t working alone?” The Master questions. “The dirty cops told a detective at the Fantastic P.D they were told to leave the money in a secret location, but when the police got there, the money was gone. Its possible the dirty cops lied, but its also possible they didn’t. So if they weren’t working for you, any suggestions on who they could’ve been working for?” Dylan questions. “Have you considered Wishbone? I understand he recently escaped.” The Master notes. “He’s already back in custody. Besides, he was too busy trying to rob a museum.” Dylan says. “That could have been a diversion.” The Master suggests. “It could’ve been, but I don’t think Wishbone is smart enough to come up with something like that. The Cats were another group that crossed my mind, but they aren’t the bank robbing type. That’s everyone I can think of, do you have anyone else in mind?” Dylan questions. The Master ponders for a moment, and then turns towards Dylan. “Come to think of it...there is someone else.” The Master admits.

Claire and Andy are sitting in the interrogation room at the police station. “Its worrisome we haven’t heard from Dylan yet.” Andy admits. “Dylan went to talk to The Master. From everything I’ve heard about him, this could take a while.” Claire says. Mariah walks in. “Good, you two are still here.” Mariah says. “Have you found any new information?” Andy asks. “I have. Turns out, these cops aren’t the first people who claimed they were told to commit crimes by a voice in their dreams. In fact, there have been quite a few robberies over the last few years committed by people who claimed some mysterious entity told them to do it.” Mariah reveals. “Seems like a lot of robbers are stupid enough to think that excuse is going to fly. Is this like some kind of bank robbery ring or something?” Claire asks. “Bank robbers aren’t the only ones using that excuse, there have been some murderers too.” Mariah reveals!

The Master leans in closer to Dylan. “About a week ago, someone reached out to me looking to form a partnership.” The Master reveals. “What kind of partnership?” Dylan questions. “They wanted me to sell a drug that they had developed. They didn’t say what kind of drug it was, just that it would be an incredibly lucrative business venture.” The Master admits.

“Its odd for so many people to be using the same excuse as to why they committed their crimes, especially one so unbelievable. But, that seems to be the only link connecting the crimes.” Andy says. “That might be the case with the bank robberies, but the murders have a more distinct connection.” Mariah states. “What is it?” Claire asks. “I think this is something I’d be better off showing you than telling you.” Mariah says. Mariah lays a folder on the table. “There are some crime scene photos in there. Be advised, they are pretty graphic.” Mariah warns. Andy opens the folder, and both his and Claire’s eyes widen.

“Did this person give you their name?” Dylan questions. “He gave me an alias. He called himself...The Puppeteer.” The Master reveals.

Andy looks through the photos, which show the victims all hanging by the ceiling by their arms. “What the hell is this?!” Claire asks. “The ropes aren’t around their necks, so it doesn’t appear they died via hanging.” Andy observes. “This is how the bodies were left by the killers, not how they died. When you think about it, don’t the bodies kinda resemble puppets, with the way they’re hanging?” Mariah asks. “Who would be sick enough to do this?” Claire wonders.

“Who is The Puppeteer?” Dylan questions. “Your guess is as good as mine. I had never even heard the name before he contacted me.” The Master admits. “Did you accept his offer?” Dylan asks. “I didn’t. When I asked The Puppeteer for more information on the drug he was hoping to sell, he became vaguer, and would only state that it would rapidly become popular among the drug market. With The Puppeteer refusing to go into much detail, coupled with the fact that I knew very little about him, I knew aligning myself with him was a terrible idea.” The Master says. “Did The Puppeteer contact you directly?” Dylan asks. “It was done through a middle man, one of my most trusted associates. Don’t bother trying to track said associate down, he went missing not long after I turned The Puppeteer down.” The Master says. “Do you think The Puppeteer did something to him?” Dylan asks. “I’m certain of it. This associate was the only one who had direct contact with The Puppeteer, so my theory is that The Puppeteer disposed of him for that very reason. Plus, he was likely feeling spiteful that I turned down his proposal, so he exacted revenge on me by eliminating one of my most trusted allies.” The Master says. “I’ll look into it.” Dylan says. Dylan stands up to leave. “Be careful, Dylan. The most dangerous kind of enemy is the invisible kind.” The Master warns. Dylan ignores him, and walks out.

Dylan returns to the police station. “Good, you’re back. We made some progress while you were gone.” Claire reveals. “I did some digging, and over the last two years, numerous perps across the country have claimed they were told to commit their crimes by a voice in their dreams. Normally, I’d chalk it up to crazy talk, but when so many people are making the same claim, its kinda hard to ignore.” Mariah notes. “Were all of the crimes committed bank robberies?” Dylan questions. “There were some murders. In fact, the murders have a creepy connection besides the mystery dream entity. See for yourself.” Mariah says, as she hands Dylan the photos. “All of the bodies are displayed the same way.” Dylan comments. “Kinda makes you think of how a puppet hangs, doesn’t it?” Mariah says. “This goes with the info I just got from The Master.” Dylan says. “Did The Master confess?” Andy asks. “The Master denied it, but he pointed the finger at someone else who might be responsible. About a week ago, someone called The Master because he wanted The Master to distribute a drug he had created. This person called himself The Puppeteer.” Dylan reveals. “That name seems appropriate. This person is displaying his victims like puppets, and he is using the perpetrators as puppets as well.” Andy notes. Dylan turns towards Mariah. “Did any of the murder victims have anything in common?” Dylan asks. “Other than their killers were all caught, and claimed that someone in their dreams told them to kill.” Mariah notes. “Its odd for someone who hides in the shadows like The Puppeteer to have killers on his payroll who are so sloppy.” Dylan notes. “Maybe he wants his puppets to get caught.” Mariah suggests. “The actual puppets may not like that too much. They are the ones who will have to serve the prison sentence, especially if they don’t identify their boss.” Andy says. “Maybe they can’t identify him, maybe they can’t fight their instructions to get caught.” Dylan suggests. “Are you saying they were brainwashed?” Claire asks. “It would explain the dreams. Maybe The Puppeteer found a way to get inside people’s dreams, and use their dreams as a way to brainwash them. It could even be connected to that drug he wanted The Master to distribute for him.” Dylan says. “Brainwashing? I don’t know, that seems a little too science fiction. This ain’t mission impossible, its real life.” Mariah points out. “Not so impossible after what I went through. When I first came to Fantastic five years ago, I had just escaped my father and my brother Andre, who were trying to brainwash me. They would have if I hadn’t escaped.” Dylan says. “I’m sorry you went through that, but you escaped before they were able to do anything. For all you know, it might not have even worked!” Mariah points out. “They wouldn’t have tried it if they thought for a second it wasn’t going to work.” Dylan argues. “So, you really think this dude could be controlling people through their dreams, and that he’s using some drug to do it?” Mariah asks. “Its possible.” Dylan notes. “For once, The Master did the right thing. If The Puppeteer put some drug that could brainwash people on the streets, he’d be able to create an entire army.” Claire points out. “So how are we supposed to catch this guy when he’s basically invisible?” Mariah asks. “We’ll find a way. This bastard made a huge mistake coming into our city.” Dylan states.

In the living room of the Goo Castle, Dylan and Claire are sitting on the sofa, looking over information on the case. “So...any idea how we are going to track The Puppeteer down?” Claire questions. “We’ll find a way.” Dylan tells her. “You keep saying that. Your nervous, aren’t you?” Claire asks. Dylan scoffs. “I don’t get nervous.” Dylan tells her. “Yeah, sure you don’t. I know I haven’t been with you as long as Andy, but I think I know you pretty well at this point. You’re use to fighting the enemy in plain sight. Everyone we have ever fought has been clear about who they are and what they want, and then we have this guy. We don’t know what his real name is, what he looks like, and his crimes are so scattered and unpredictable that we can’t even speculate on a motive! Even I can admit that’s a little intimidating.” Claire says. “I can’t afford to be intimidated, not when it comes to keeping Fantastic City and my friends safe!” Dylan snaps. “Um...okay. You didn’t have to be rude about it, all I did was ask a question.” Claire points out. Dylan sighs. “You’re right, I’m sorry. This is a whole different ball park, going up against an enemy hiding in the shadows, in comparison to the people we usually fight.” Dylan says. Claire puts her hand on Dylan’s arm. “We are going to win, trust me. We always do. The Puppeteer is no match for this team.” Claire says. Andy walks in. “I hope I’m not intruding.” Andy says. “What’s up?” Dylan asks. “There’s something I want to show the two of you in my workshop downstairs. Please, follow me.” Andy says. Dylan and Claire stand up, and follow Andy out of the room.

Downstairs, the three enter a dark room, and once Andy turns on the lights, three sets of armor are revealed! “So this is where you keep disappearing to at night!” Claire says. “Developing these has been quite a process. I’ve been working on them tirelessly for several months, and now seemed like an appropriate time to finally unveil them.” Andy says. “Are they bulletproof?” Dylan questions. “They have far more capabilities than just being bullet proof. Each suit is designed with the wearer’s strong points in mind. Dylan, your suit is capable of shooting volts of electricity, a grappling hook that allows you to reach rooftops and other difficult to reach locations, and a launcher that fires explosives which stick to walls. Claire, your suit is designed to enhance the abilities you already possess, so they will be stronger than ever before, and my suit is designed to act as a supercomputer, lending me information on people, buildings...whatever we need at the time. Of course, each suit comes with a built in comms suit, and as I told Dylan earlier, they are bullet proof. I also made them the color I thought would fit each of us best. Dylan, your armor is blue, because I know how fond you are of that color. Claire, yours is pink, and mine is yellow.” Andy says. “Thanks, Andy. I don’t know what we’d do without you.” Dylan says. “Lets hope you never have to find out.” Andy says. “This calls for a celebration. Drinks on Andy!” Claire announces. “You were just looking for an excuse to go out and have a couple of drinks.” Dylan snarks. “And now I have one, yay me! Don’t worry, guys, I’ll let you pick the venue.” Claire says. “Can we choose our own drinks too?” Andy jokingly asks. “If you’re good.” Claire says.

Dylan, Claire, and Andy are sitting around a table in a club. “You know, when I told you I could pick the venue, I thought you’d pick something...classier.” Claire comments. “There’s nothing wrong with this place.” Andy argues. “I don’t know, I guess I’m just surprised you would go somewhere like this.” Claire admits. “Normally I wouldn’t, but I’ve been here numerous times in the past, and I’m pretty fond of it.” Andy says. “Andy and I actually came here for the first time after we stopped The Master from blowing up the police station.” Dylan recalls. “That was the first time the idea of us teaming up came up. You had ordered us a plate of buffalo wings, and you told me that you were impressed with the way I helped.” Andy says. “It was impressive. When The Master was threatening to detonate the bomb in the police station, he was doing it from a remote location, one that even the cops couldn’t track. So, Andy used some special tech he had developed himself to track The Master down, and that’s how he got arrested.” Dylan recaps. Claire turns towards Andy. “How did a former cop become so involved in technology, anyway?” Claire questions. “I took a tech class in high school, and found I was actually quite good at it. After that, I pursued it as a hobby. Given where I am in my life now, I obviously made for a better tech expert than I did a cop.” Andy admits. The manager of the club gets up on stage. “Can I have your attention please, everyone? Its time for tonight’s entertainment to take center stage!” The manager says. “This place can afford entertainment?” Claire questions. “Stop being such a snob.” Dylan tells her. “Introducing up and coming star, Jay Briggs!” The manager announces. The curtain opens, and gasps and screams begin to fill the club. Jay Briggs can be seen dead, with his arms and legs hanging from the ceiling like a puppet!

QG
Admin

https://qg-network.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down